A computer is an electronic device system that accepts raw data as inputs, processes and manipulates them in digital form to give outputs (results) and store them for future use.Computers have made an impact in virtually all areas of our lives. They have changed the way things are done by increasing accuracy and speed. We no longer need to rely on manpower to execute repetitive and tedious work that can be automated by computers. They have also drastically brought down the cost of doing business. Today, computers are a staple in most disciplines including medicine, accounting, education, engineering and others.Some of the advantages of Computer are as follows:
- Speed: When data, instructions, and information flow along electronic circuits in a computer, they travel at incredibly fast speeds. Many computers process billions or trillions of operations in a single second. Processing involves computing (e.g., adding, subtracting), sorting (e.g., alphabetizing), organizing, displaying images, recording audio, playing music, and showing a movie or video.
- Reliability: The electronic components in modern computers are dependable and reliable because they rarely break or fail.
- Consistency: Given the same input and processes, a computer will produce the same results consistently. A computing phrase known as garbage in, garbage out points out that the accuracy of a computer’s output depends on the accuracy of the input. For example, if you do not use the flash on a digital camera when indoors, the resulting pictures that are displayed on the computer screen may be unusable because they are too dark.
- Storage: A computer can transfer data quickly from storage to memory, process it, and then store it again for future use. Many computers store enormous amounts of data and make this data available for processing anytime it is needed.
- Communications: Most computers today can communicate with other computers, often wirelessly. Computers with this capability can share any of the four information processing cycle operations input, process, output, and storage with another computer or a user.