Marriage is a physical,legal and moral union between man and woman in complete community life for the establishment of a family.The emergence of marriage was to regulate and control the sex life of man especially after the end of sex communism in the early stage of human social evolution.
Characteristics of Marriage
- Universality: Marriage is more or less a universal institution ie; it is prevalent everywhere among literate as well as illiterate,everywhere territorial as well as hunter gatherer.For eg:in Japan celibacy is publicly condemned; in korea unmarried persons are called ‘Half persons’ . Among Hindus marriage is a sacred phenomenon which every Hindu member should do.
- Relationship between man and woman: Marriage is the union of man and woman which indicates the relationship between one or more men to one or more women that occurs under different pattern of marriage.
- An enduring bond: It is the long lasting bond between husband and wife.It excludes those sexual relationships like with prostitutes who are not santioned by custom or law or religion.
- Marriage requires social Approval: Marriage between man and woman becomes a nuptial bond only when it is approved by the society.Social approval is an ultimate way to get legal recognition.
- Marriage is associated with some civil or religous ceremony: Among each and every socio-cultural and religous group ,marriage gets its social recognition through some ceremonies.It suggests that marriage has to be concluded in a public and solemn matter.
- Marriage creates Mutual Obligation: Marriage imposes cetain rights on both husband and wife.