In the world , many of the fields have been influenced by postmodern thinking art, architecture,philosophy and sociology. Postmodernism is a general and wide-ranging term which is applied to literature ,art ,philosophy,architecture,fiction,and cultural and literary criticism,among others.Post modernism relies on concrete experience over abstract principles ,knowing always that the outcome of one’s own experience will necessarily be fallible and relative,rather than certain and universal.To be specific ,the following key assumptions are made:
- Postmodernism assumes that there is no underlying objective reality that means no prime objective reality (Either physical or spiritual).
- Postmodernism assumes that everything is subjective and relative to individual views , perception and values which varies from one person to another person.
- Postmodernism assumes that there is no absolute preference point to judge between right and wrong; true or false ; real and unreal ; good and evil , etc .
- Postmodernism assumes that universe is an open system ,hence natural laws are not fixed or we can say reality and time are not fixed realities.
- Postmodernism assumes that there is no knowledge apart from language ie; human beings construct meaning through language and may differ from one person to another.
- Postmodernism assumes that unlike modernism it is open ,unbounded and concerned with process and becoming.
Source: Fundamentals Of Sociology ( Buddha Publication)
Author: Laxman P. Bhandari